Friday, February 12, 2010

Lapland socks

Sonja, our Exchange student from Finiland,  is teaching me how to knit Lapland  socks.  
Since I primarily am a crocheter,   I have been learning how to knit.   It has been a fun project,  I have done a little frogging,   but not alot.  Which I am grateful for.  LOL

Sonja tells me this is a dying art in Finland,   less people are knitting these days,  and it is getting hard to find someone who hand knits socks,  and especially hard to find someone who can knit the Lapland design.

As you can see,  it is a complicated design,  one has to be precise in stitching,  one stitch can throw off your whole pattern.  This is my first pair of socks so it is not perfect,  but they turned out pretty well. 

The cuff measures 13 inches long and the foot is 10 inches long. The design is a traditional Lapland design,  with traditional Lapland colors .  The black background can be  a different color,  we chose black as it looks classy. 

So let me know what you think.   If you need a pair of Lapland socks or other socks let me know.

2 comments:

  1. Those are absolutely fabulous! And, for those to be your first pair, that's awesome! I am trying to teach myself to knit, and can't seem to get past the first 3-4 rows before I get mad rip it all out. Something about trying to be coordinated with 2 objects in my hands, versus just one crochet hook! :) Great job and can't wait to see more!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well thank-you, glad to see you like them. Sonja taught me how to knit with 5 needles so that was a bit of a challenge.
    I knitted some socks awhile ago so I was use to knitting with 4 needles, this was a change for me.
    Some people say it is easier to knit with 5 needles as it is easier to count the stitches.
    Now i have to make sure I get the pattern translated before Sonja leaves.

    ReplyDelete