Sunday, February 15, 2009

Knit-Out 2009 and Crochet

I attended my very first Knit-Out 2009 and Crochet at the Mall of America on 2/14/09.

It was a very fun and creative event. Here is what I did and my impressions:

I blocked out the entire day -- told my husband and kids that I was going to Mall of America for the day. They were surprised that I was going to go alone. I was not concerned because I knew I would be among friends. I was there from 9 am to 3pm and did not run out of people or creative endeavors to talk about.

Here are the displays and classes I participated in Fashion show, Turn Crocheted Motifs into a Colorful Scarf by Nili Elad, (Lion Brand Yarn Design Department), and Easy Beaded Crochet Jewelry with Debra Nettles (Leisure Arts). Each seminar was interesting and very creative. There were only a handful of people for the Motifs seminar, as most of the others were at the Knitting seminar right behind us. As crocheters we did not mind, we got to know Nili , our instructor and we helped each other with crocheting. I guess it was great to have someone speak our language!!

In the beaded crochet Jewerly seminar we were taught a "simple" way to crochet with beads. "Simple" for the experts. I am looking forward to trying this technique as it does not look too hard. Creating crocheted jewerly opens up a whole new realm of creative crochet. It is also an opportunity where we crocheters can connect with another creative endeavor -- beading. The fashion show I will talk about in another post.

Now I suppose you are wondering why I only attended three seminars. Well most of the time was spent in lines to see the vendors. The postive side was having the time to talk to many wonderful crafters. It is truly amazing to see what everyone creates and how they do it. The other positive side was that once you did get to the tables, the vendors were great. I received many patterns, yarn, Lion Brand bag, lighted knitting needles with batteries etc.

One funny story about the lines -- the main line curved around the mall. People were coming up and asking what we were standing in line for. We explained we were attending the Knit-Out 2009 and Crochet and were in line to see the vendors. One lady said, "I thought they were giving out money!!! That brought a chuckle to all of us.


Improvements for next year:
  • Allow two days to enjoy the Knit-Out 2009 and Crochet There are so many things to do and see, you really need two days to take it all in. I spoke to a veteran from last year and she spends one day for the lines and the other attending as many seminars as possible.
  • Take Part in the Fashion Show The fashion show had many knit items which is great for the overall success of the show. It was very interesting hearing about how they made the sweaters/scarves and what type of materials they used. I did not think we (crocheters) were represented. So next year I plan on wearing some of the items I crochet. Not that I can totally make up the difference but at least it is a start.
  • Learn to crochet standing up for the lines. Yes you read this right: Crochet standing up!!!. When you are standing in a line for awhile, it would be great to crochet along the way. Some people were doing this quite well, while others said they could not do both. Perhaps I can learn how to crochet standing up by next year!!! Any suggestionsco mments on how to do this would be helpful.

No comments:

Post a Comment